This wiki contains information about the history of the Mafia: from the Southern Italian Criminal Syndicates or Crime Families, to their American counterparts.
The information ranges from the Mafia roots, to individual bosses and their operations, including noteworthy associated and/or related criminal figures/crime subjects. You may also find information about ranks, titles and positions.
The Mafia Wiki was created on September 2008, and currently houses a total of 2,155 articles.
Notorious Mafia Bosses/Capos
- John Gotti (1940-2002) - Boss of the Gambino Crime Family in New York City during the late 1980s, famous for being acquitted in court three times, expensive suits and had a repertoire for giving sound bites to the media.
- Al Capone (1899-1947) - Brooklyn born and raised. Head of the Chicago Outfit during the U.S. Prohibition period (1920s-1930s).
- Peter Licavoli (1902–1984) - Reputed organized crime figure in St. Louis, Missouri and patriarch of the Licavoli Mob.
- Frank Costello (1891 – 1973) - Italian-born New York City gangster and one time Luciano (now Genovese) Family boss.
- Paul Leisure (1947-1983) - St. Louis, Missouri area criminal and underworld figure.
Mafia Families and Organizations
- New York City, U.S. based (Cosa Nostra) families
- Bonanno Crime Family Founded by Joseph "Bananas" Bonanno
- Colombo Crime Family - Founded by Joe Profaci; renamed when Joseph Colombo became its boss in 1962, upon Profaci's death
- Gambino Crime Family - Founded by Carlo Gambino
- Genovese Crime Family - Founded by Vito Genovese
- Lucchese crime family - Founded by Gaetano Lucchese
- Eastern Seaboard, U.S. based (Cosa Nostra) families
- Patriarca crime family - Boston, Massachusetts and Providence, Rhode Island
- DeCavalcante crime family - New Jersey
- Philadelphia Crime Family - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Ethnic/Racial Mafia (Cosa Nostra) sectors
- See also
- CNN Editorial Research Here's a look at the life of Rev. Al Sharpton, political activist and Baptist minister.PersonalBirth date: October 3, 1954Birth ......
- In the past five years, violent gangs from Sweden have increased their presence in Málaga province, drawn in by the warm weather and high quality of life ......
- The indictment outlines wide-ranging and sometimes decadeslong crimes allegedly undertaken by the mafia figures and others ... committed to dismantling organized crime families, eliminating ......
- Alleged Colombo family boss Andrew "Mush" Russo is among 14 charged in a sprawling criminal case that includes allegations of racketeering, extortion and money laundering connected to an attempt to .....
- (Wikipedia Commons via Courthouse News) BOSTON (CN) — In a case with billions of dollars at stake and claims of international bribery, political payoffs, shadowy Mafia figures ... continue to ......